1st year done, second year to come...
I woke up this morning to a grey, ominous sky casting over the sleepy suburban neighborhood outside my bedroom window. What shadows and darkness for a morning sky would hopefully not be a foreshadowing of things to come in this brand new school year. This morning was my trip back to Waterloo. It would be the first of many commutes to come as I embrace the dull visuals of rolling fields and the familiar urban landscape that would too often be painting over my windshield. Looking out into the overcast, a wave of nostalgia hit me as I realized the significance of the occasion. Today marked a full year since I moved into UW Place, Eby Hall 2/3 with my roomies, Kysen and George. Oh, how it feels like it was only yesterday when we came out of high school as brand new froshies, apprehensive yet excited at what the new future holds for us at Waterloo. Now, a year has past. And what a year it has been...
Can you believe it, we are heading into the second year of our university! Frosh week felt like light years ago! I remember the moment I first arrived at UWP, moving in my stuff. As I reached out for the doorknob, a tingle of anticipation excited me of the journey to come. I opened my door, and found that I got placed into a small room the size of a prison cell. Maybe smaller. Nevertheless, it was my room, in which I had grown into loving the tight, but comfortable space; and home was what I had called it for 8 months of my university life. It was certainly to be full of adventures to come, as I was to room with two of my closest friends from high school! It was very special indeed, a day I had previsioned for many days, and even years. It all traces back to a bored day in grade 7 french class. My best friend Kysen and I had written yes and no on the sides of an eraser. We began to toss the "magic" eraser and asked it questions. Evidently, after tossing the eraser on the first try, it had predicted six years earlier that Kysen and I were to go to the same university, Waterloo, be best friends in university, AND be roomies.
| (L to R) George, me, Kysen |
~knocks on door~
* Boy opens, glares at us
Boy: (reeking of beer) Hey guys, there are some Asian boys outside, what should we do with them?
*inaudible responses from inside
~Boy slams door~
At that point university appeared to be a wild experience, full of lawlessness and yes, drunkenness. Those first couple of weeks were accompanied by slight loneliness and days of missing home. However, brighter days were indeed ahead, and to tell you all the crazy stories in one blog would be unfair to your eyes and my poor fingers. But all I can say is, with my first year finished and under my belt, a look back certainly highlights many of the good, the funny and the not so good that happened! So much had happened this year! I met the coolest neighbours in Eby 207, had some great fun rez events with my floormates, Frosh Cell, DG, CCF (oh the benefits of being a frosh! i sure miss them!), finding a home at Creekside, exploring Waterloo, and especially growing spiritually.
With the fun, also came the hardships: watching my academics plunge, relationship heartbreaks, arguments with my roomies, my health, trying to support a friend on drugs and family.
Many of these items had hurted me physically, emotionally and spiritually, but it is through learning from these hardships that we become a better person.
Maybe the biggest lesson I've learn is that love can hurt. Loving someone is also very hard. I also can't love someone if I don't love God, because God is love. What it means to be the man in a relationship is probably one of the hardest to do (properly) and especially one that glorifies God. It can certainly pack a sting. Moving on from it, I think boys, though mucho on the outside, may take even longer to heal and are actually quite sensitive beings on the inside. That's just one of the many things I've learned and am still learning to become a better person.
Emotions often get the better of me. And often, I tend to worry a lot. I think it comes from my meticulous side that is always so detail-oriented. I was thinking and analyzing. Over-thinking often leads to worrying. This year, I hope to do less of that and rejoice. Like in Matthew 6:25 onwards says, do not worry about your life, for the Father will take care of you. Can anyone of you add one hour to your life by worrying?" I have to fully understand that, as much as I love to be in control of things, I can't and I am not, and sometimes, I need to be still and submit to him, fully.
"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:33b-34
Maturing takes time. It certainly requires patience. It also requires perseverance. As the second year quickly dawns upon us, I sincerely hope that my maturity will continue to be nurtured by God, and that no matter what happens, my faith will stand upon a solid foundation, unwavering in the second year storms ahead.
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight."Proverbs 3:5-6
No comments:
Post a Comment