Saturday, April 30, 2011

Closing Down.

Coming back from university, I had to stop by one of the places we chill a lot at when we were still kids. However, I was in for quite a surprise!

It is with great sadness for me to announce the closing of the North York City Centre Food Court on May 1st. To all the food  establishments, thank you for being an integral part of my last 13 years in Willowdale.

I remember when I first moved to Willowdale, the food court was one of the first places that I went to. Back then, it was in 1999, and the place that we so fondly call "Civics" was a bustling little uptown food court, with all the places operating, and full of students and businesspeople grabbing a quick (and cheap) bite...

Fast forwarding to middle school, in 2002, I came to know a little place called Sakura Japan. It served the best chicken katsu and breaded shrimp combo and chicken udon in all of North York. It also turns out that the place is owned by one of my close friend's uncle. I frequented the place quite many times with my friends during our rare "off campus" lunches.

In grade 8, one of the fondest places that I had enjoyed eating at was the Greek Shishkabob. At a cost of $4.99, they offered a box twice the size of a regular takeout box, with greek rice, greek potatoes, chicken shiskabob, and a greek salad, all very satisfying and delicious indeed! It probably commenced my love for greek food! <3

In grade 10-11, the food court would be the place to chill after DECA training with my peeps, where we would enjoy a nice meal of the "Special", at the Lebanese Gourmet, where for $4.25, it would've gotten you a  scrumptious box of grilled chicken with Mediterranean rice and hummus!!! The owner, a very nice chubby old man, would often give us extra potatoes, or the carrot stew with no extra charge! And sure enough, we were loyal customers...

A final shoutout to Noodles and Golden Wok, chinese establishments that had decent food offered at $4.30 for a one meat item with noodles or rice....The chinese ladies were often nice and allowed us to have half of one meat mixed with a second one, along with half noodles and half rice. They were also my source of Arizonas after school.

Also worth mentioning is the beloved Chubby's, which offered great subs, made with care and love. I was not a frequent customer, but I heard the Chubby ladies were really awesome!

After 13 years, the patronage at the food court declined sharply, due to rising rents in North York area on Yonge, the recession, businesses moving their offices to Markham, quiet summer months without students....All these factors took its tow on "Treats", Crepe de Paris, Panzerotto Pizza and Sakura Japan (for different reasons *ahem) in recent memories....

Now, with the closing of the food court, it marks the closing of a great place for high school students to chills. Thanks for all the memories, whether it's chilling with friends, eating lunch, working on projects until 9pm, or studying, it was a great place to hangout. Remember the times when we would rush here to eat before music performances at Cringan Hall and the Toronto Centre for the Arts?? The times we chill and meet up in huge groups? The times my DECA PBAs and I would come after meetings and drill role plays... This place will be greatly missed!!!

Coming back to Toronto, I was craving Greek, but was sad to discover that it closed early, and a sign greeted me, thanking me for my patronage, and it asked me to visit its other fine dining experiences, such as Starbucks.

With the closing of the food court, this is the end of a chapter. All the good times and memories will live on. It is hard to say good bye, but it doesn't seem like I have a choice...



THE END. 

Edit: Last I heard from a friend, the entire food court is poised to be converted into one single giant McDonald's....I hope not!

1 comment:

  1. SOOOOO DEPRESSING UGHHHHH i guess the next closest thing is SHAWARMA MAX on yonge streeet ughhh

    now i've lost yet another reason/excuse to visit haig :(

    ReplyDelete