From about grade 7 or 8, it's been routine for me to crack open the newspaper in the morning, whether it's a subscription, a metro, or online. I've been trying to keep that up. I believe it's so important for us to know what's going on in the world, and not be ignorant about the things going on around the globe, especially with politics, as Canadian citizens should be concerned with where our country is headed. Reading the news is something I've grown to enjoy, and in a country that guarantees freedom of press and media, it is something to not take for granted. As much as free press goes, lately, I feel like news is heading in a downward direction. I'm sure all of you remember the Maclean's controversy about an article that appeared to target Asian students?
For many years, Toronto Star has been my source for news, as it is the only one that provides the in-depth local coverage of the what's happening in the city. When it comes to policies, we know that newspaper companies are often unofficially affiliated with a political spectrum. Lately, reading the Toronto Star has been unbearable. During the Toronto city elections, the Toronto Star continuously bashed Rob Ford with news articles targeting him very negatively.Many of its claims were slanderous and completely untrue. This controversy brought many complaints from its loyal readers. They also published an article asking for the other candidates to stand that so that George Smitherman can defeat Ford. After election, Toronto Star continued to bash Ford about potential breaking of promises. (DUDE. it's day 1 on the job! Let the man get in and do some work first before accusations!) Throughout the year until now, this newspaper empire continued to feed half a million Torontonians with propaganda against Ford, and it's driving me nuts! I am FED UP.
Now, I will be frank with y'all. No hidden motives. I supported Ford in the October election (contact me if you want to know my reasons), and I agree with a lot but also not agree with some of his policies, but this blog entry has nothing to do about my political views. It is about the integrity of the news we get fed on a daily basis.
There are 9 elements to journalism, according to Bill Kovach and Tom Rosenstiel, of which I have listed the first 4:
- Journalism's first obligation is to the truth.
- Its first loyalty is to the citizens.
- Its essence is discipline of verification.
- Its practitioners must maintain an independence from those they cover.
I don't know how much politics is involved, but just because you make your political donations to some and not others doesn't mean you get to backstab the loyalty of your readers. A journalist's obligation is to truth and that's just not happening. Now, this also applies to many other media outlets as well, not just the Star. We are fed with so much "dirty laundry"; in magazines, newspapers, tv, internet that we don't consider what they are telling us. The media feeds up with the latest gossip bout JBiebs or complete BS and we accept it! In fact, we embrace it! It is such "news" that keeps TV ratings up and People flying off the racks.
A song my grade 6 teacher showed us came to mind. It's called Dirty Laundry, by Bob Henley. Here's a verse from it:
Dirty little secrets, dirty little lies
We got our dirty little fingers in everybody's pie
Love to cut you down to size, we love dirty laundry.
I admit, gossip sells. Marketing sure loves it. But it is up to us to accept what's right and what's wrong. I struggle with it. We all struggle with it.
So I urge you all to make decisions about what you're reading and seeing, and what's right. It is unfortunately that the several journalists that do write well do not get enough recognition for their writing.
By the end of the day, all I want to read is the truth. But then, I realized...there is only one truth. and that's the word of God. What we accept to be the truth. That Jesus came onto this earth to die to pay the ransom of our sins. Whoever believes in Him, believes the truth, and acts in truth, and shall have everlasting life. There is just so much evil, gossips, scandals and corruption in this world. This world needs to know God's love.
"This is the one who came by water and blood—Jesus Christ. He did not come by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit who testifies, because the Spirit is the truth." 1 John 5:6
There is nothing truer than the words of the bible.
------------
So at this point, all I am requesting is unbiased news sources that tells us a neutral view of what's happening in the world. If you have an opinion, write it in Opinions & Editorials. News is news. You can't change it, you can't modify it. If you do...well...that's just scandalous. I support The Star because of its local coverage, but hey, this is not a grade school playground anymore. Stop the mudslinging and grow up.
Thanks.
Sincerely,
A (former) Loyal Reader
i used read the local paper here online, but lately i realized that there are a lot of articles about the strip clubs here (which makes me uncomfortable to read) and a bunch of inappropriate advertisements. i think your post has motivate me to pray earnestly for this city instead of trying to ignore the news here.
ReplyDelete